Thursday, July 9, 2009

Just a Thought

So I got another opportunity/call to play drums this summer, this time at the youth retreat in August. Now that my EXTREMELY DIFFICULT VISUAL ANALYSIS ASSIGNMENT FOR DESIGN AND METHODS IN QUALITATIVE RESEARCH FOR COMMUNICATIONS. But I'm actually proud of what I have done, I think I've come up with a pretty good analysis on "Madeline".

Anyways, I'm not that rusty, but I still need to practice techinique every day, and listen every day as well. My goal to shape and design my creativity, skill, and technique will be for August 9th, 2 days before the retreat.

It's not to show off, or to do the best I can simply for the sake of doing it, but because I need the motivation, I need that purpose, and I simply need to get better. All the routines and rudiments that I've been practicing over the years, I must be much better at them.

I took a look at my overall GPA for my university career, and it showed a 3.4. Wow that sucks! Especially when last semester I had a GPA of 3.7. I realized that the two courses I'm taking during the summer semester must not be taken so lightly. So far, I'm doing pretty well, I think...got an A- on that last midterm, got a B+ on that ridiculous profile assignment, and I'm hoping to get an A in the EXTREMELY DIFFICULT VISUAL ANALYSIS assignment thing.


I've been thinking...there are ideologies and principles through which we choose to see and understand the world and ourselves. What we think is good. What we think is cool. What we think looks nice. What we think is this, what we think is that.

There's the whole idea of "being entitled to your own opinions", but if your opinions are based on principles that you believe to be a fact, does that not mean that you believe that your opinions are CORRECT, or TRUE?

If I believe that this musician sucks, based on my principles of what I believe is good music, does that not imply that my belief that the musician sucks mean that I believe it to be a fact?

In this way, opinions don't really exist; they're merely what we believe to be facts.

If you keep on thinking about it, does that not mean that there are no REAL facts? Truth?

This reminds me of Descartes' famous quote, "I think, therefore I am". It really makes sense, and I believe that I'm proposing a branch of his thinking.

I'm gonna write a song now.

No comments: